Starting your own business is something you’d consider at some point during your career, especially if you want to become a nail technician.
With the emerging fashion trends around the globe, nail art has gotten significant attention from artists, models, fashion bloggers, and even high school girls. Nail care products have become an essential component of self-care and beauty kits for all women. Nail care industries are snowballing daily due to the increased demand for nail care products. However, using these tools is not a piece of cake. It requires skills and expertise to become a nail technician. In this article, you will learn how to become an experienced nail technician and what products you need to know!
Becoming a nail technician will be fantastic if you are interested in pursuing a career in the beauty industry. Here is a complete guide on how to become an experienced nail technician. Let’s discuss this in detail.
A Quick Recap on What’s Covered in This Topic.
- The requirement for becoming a nail technician.
- Research about the nail industry.
- Art qualifications and certificate classes
- Professional skills
- Quality nail supplies
What does a nail technician do?
A nail technician is an expert in decorating, styling, and grooming a person’s hand nails and toenails, besides holding expertise in manicure, pedicure, nail art, shaping of nails, and nail treatments. Being a nail technician is a fun job and requires artistic skills. From acrylic to fiberglass nails, a nail technician has the best experience and training to make your nails look amazing.
Research The Nail Industry
Before pursuing a nail technician as a profession, you must research it in depth. By doing this, you will get an honest insight into how the profession works and whether you are ready for it or not. While researching, look for its history, requirements, latest trends, techniques, etc.
Nail Technician Job
The average nail technician’s salary typically starts from $23,000 and goes up to $37,000, assuming working in beauty salons, but when it comes to working as a freelancer, it could be much more, and of course, it depends on how big your network is.
Nail technicians may choose to work in a salon, at home or mobile at the client’s home. If you like a face-paced environment and seeing new faces every day, you might reach a wider clientele in the tourist industry, by working in local resorts or spas. If you long for flexibility and freedom, you could choose to work in a home nail salon or rent a chair in an existing establishment. Whatever you choose, the world is wide open as you start your exciting new career! If you are interested in becoming an experienced full-time job nail technician, then you have to complete various courses for it.
One way of getting qualified is to get a beauty therapy apprenticeship. After that, you specialize in nail art. Another way is to learn from different nail art education classes based on different levels. For example, beginner level, professional level, and expert level. You can also look for NVQ qualifications. Or you can just self-teach yourself from different YouTube nail technician tutorials.
Note: If you are doing it as a freelance profession, then you don’t have to enroll in the courses mentioned above. As long as you have the creativity in nail art and the basic skills, then you are good to go!
Nail Technician Key Skills
There are specific professional skills you must obtain to become an experienced nail technician:
It is essential to manage your clients in a well-organized manner if you want to be a successful nail technician. Your management skills help you keep track of all your bookings, especially if you are working independently. Plus, if you work in a salon, make sure to keep your nail stations clean and organized.
Make sure to apply all the health and safety measures at the salon. You should have detailed information about all the product and their side effects (if any). Before any nail treatment, ask your client if they have any allergies.
Nail treatments require excellent timing and attention. You must perform all the functions with great precision and concentration. Plus, nail treatments usually take an hour or more. The treatment is relaxing yet boring. So, try to talk to your clients to keep them fresh and engaged.
You do not need a license to do nails or open a salon in Canada, but salon owners may not hire you if you don’t have a nail technician license. The same applies for all cosmetology, aesthetics and makeup-related work. Whether you live in Ontario, Alberta, Quebec, or any other province in Canada, you can start up a shop from home and enhance your skills while doing your job. Even though there are no regulations to obtain a license to work as a nail technician, certifications boost your nail industry career.
Nail Technician Essential Supplies
To become an experienced nail technician, you must have a professional and good-quality tool kit. You must have everything from cuticle clippers to nail buffers in your kit. If you miss any essential product, it will look highly unprofessional to your clients.
Now that you know how this works, it is essential to know about the essential products you must have with yourself. Because a nail technician is nothing without their tools.
Read the breakdown below to understand the most essential nail supplies every nail technician uses during their career in the nail art industry.
Nail Prep (Preparing Nails for Application)
- Before moving on to nail art or any other special treatment, the first and primary step is nail prep. You must have the following products for this purpose:
- Nail Files: It serves as a tool for filing the natural shape of your nails. It gives a smooth outline to them.
- Cuticle Nipper: It helps to remove the dead skin around the cuticle and provides a clean look to the nails.
- Nail Buffer Blocks: It provides a shiny look to your nails and removes excess dirt.
- Nail Cleanser: It gives a moisturizing effect to your hand and feet nails. It also prevents any bacterial or fungal growth.
- Toe Separators: One of the essential products for toenails. It eases the process of nail paint application.
- Cuticle Oil: Impress your clients by using cuticle oil. It will soften your cuticle area.
- Towel/ Wipes: They are used to clean our nails repeatedly during the treatment.
- Disinfectants: Always DO disinfect all the equipment before use.
- Nail Tips: It helps in giving a desired shape to the nails.
- Acrylic Powder: It can be used to achieve a desired acrylic nail color.
- Acrylic Power: It provides the perfect texture to the nails.
- Acrylic Brush: It helps in applying the acrylic mixture.
- Nail Polish: You must have a variety of nail polish colors.
- Topcoat: Give the nail a finishing touch by applying a topcoat.
Gel Nail Polish
- Basecoat: It is applied to fill in any uneven surface.
- Gel Polish: Gel polishes are applied just like regular nail polishes.
- Hard Gel: Hard gel is thicker in texture and comes in transparent colors.
- Glitters: Clients love to have glitter on their nails for a sparkly look.
- Gems and Stones: It has become a common trend to use these during nail art.
- Nail Art Brushes: It is essential equipment for nail art. It comes in various shapes and sizes.
- Dotting Tool: It is used to make perfect dots on the nails.
- Nail Polish Remover: It removes multiple layers of nail paint.
- Acetone: Acetone nail removers help remove acrylic nail colors.
It is essential to have all the latest and clean equipment. It adds quality to your services!