With the emerging fashion trends around the globe, nail art has got significant attention from artists, models, fashion bloggers and even high school girls. Nail care products have become an essential component of self-care and beauty kits of all the women. Nail care industries are snowballing day by day due to the increased demands of nail care products. However, using these tools is not a piece of cake. It requires skills and expertise to be a good nail technician. In this article, you will learn how to become an experienced nail technician and what products you need to know!
A quick recap on what’s covered in this topic.
- Who can become a nail technician
- Research the nail industry
- Art qualifications
- Professional skills
- Quality nail supplies
What does a nail technician do?
A nail technician is an expert in decorating, styling and grooming a person’s hand nails as well as toenails. Beside holding expertise in manicure, pedicure, nail art, shaping of nails and nail treatments. Being a nail technician is a fun job and requires artistic skills. From acrylic to fibreglass nails, a nail technician has the best experience and training to make your nails look amazing. The average nail technician salary ranges between $25,000 to $30,000 a year, assuming working in beauty salons, but when it comes to working as a freelance nail technician, it could be way much more, and of course, it depends on how big your network is.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in the beauty industry, becoming a nail technician will be really cool. Here is a full guide on how to become an experienced nail technician. Let’s discuss in detail:
Research the nail industry
Before pursuing a nail technician as a profession, you must research it in depth. By doing this, you will get an honest insight into how the profession works and if you are ready for it or not. While researching, look for its history, requirements, latest trends and techniques etc.
If you are interested in becoming an experienced full-time job nail technician, then you have to complete a variety of courses for it.
One way of getting qualified is to get a beauty therapy apprenticeship. After that, you specialize in nails.
Another way is to learn from different online courses based on different levels, i.e. beginner level, professional level and expert level.
You can also look for NVQ qualifications. Or you can just self-teach yourself from different YouTube tutorials.
Note: If you are doing it as a freelance profession, then you don’t have to enroll in the courses mentioned above. As long as you have the creativity in nail art and the basic skills then you are good to go!
Nail Technician Skills:
There are specific professional skills you must obtain to become an experienced nail technician:
Excellent management skills
It is essential to manage your clients in a well-organized manner if you want to be a successful nail technician. You have to keep the tracks of all your bookings, especially if you are working independently. Plus, if you work in a salon, make sure to keep your nail stations clean and organized.
Make sure to apply all the health and safety measures at the salon. You should have detailed information about all the product and their side effects (if any). Before any nail treatment, ask your client if they have any kind of allergies.
Nail treatments require excellent timing and attention. You must perform all the functions with great precision and concentration. Plus, nail treatments usually take an hour or more. The treatment is relaxing yet boring. So, try to talk to your clients to keep them fresh and engaged.
Products for Professional Use
To become an experienced nail technician, you must have a professional and good-quality tool kit. From cuticle clippers to nail buffers, you must have everything in your kit. If you are missing any essential product, it will look highly unprofessional to your clients.
Now that you have the idea of how this works, it is essential to know about the essential products you must have with yourself. Because a nail technician is nothing without its tools.
Read below the nail supplies breakdown to learn more about the products every professional nail technician uses during their career in the nail art industry.
Nail Prep Products
- Before moving on to nail art or any other special treatment, the first and primary is step is nail prep. You must have the following products for this purpose:
- Nail Files: It serves as a tool for filing the natural shape of your nails. It gives a smooth outline to them.
- Cuticle Nipper: It helps to remove the dead skin around the cuticle and provides a clean look to the nails.
- Nail Buffer Blocks: It provides a shiny look to your nails and removes excess dirt from them.
- Nail Cleanser: It gives a moisturizing effect to your hand and feet nails. It also prevents any bacterial or fungal growth.
- Toe Separators: One of the essential products for toenails. It eases the process of nail paint application.
- Cuticle Oil: Impress your clients by using cuticle oil. It will soften your cuticle area.
- Towel/ Wipes: They are used to clean our nails again and again during the treatment.
- Disinfectants: Always DO disinfect all the equipment before use.
For Acrylic Nails
- Nail Tips: It helps in giving a desired shape to the nails.
- Acrylic Powder: It can be used to achieve a desired acrylic nail color.
- Acrylic Power: It provides the perfect texture to the nails.
- Acrylic Brush: It helps in applying the acrylic mixture.
- Nail Polish: You must have a variety of nail polish colors.
- Topcoat: Give the nail a finishing touch by applying a topcoat.
Gel Nail Polish Application
- Basecoat: It is applied to fill in any uneven surface.
- Gel Polish: Gel polishes are applied just like regular nail polishes.
- Hard Gel: Hard gel is thicker in texture and comes in transparent colors.
Nail Art Application
- Glitters: Clients love to have glitter on their nails for a sparkly look.
- Gems and Stones: It has become a common trend to use these during nail art.
- Nail Art Brushes: It is essential equipment for nail art. It comes in various shapes and sizes.
- Dotting Tool: It is used to make perfect dots on the nails.
- Nail Polish Remover: It removes multiple layers of nail paint.
- Acetone: Acetone nail removers are useful for removing acrylic nail colors.
It is essential to have all the latest and clean equipment. It adds quality to your services!